Rings (2017)



Now that I have put the finishing touches on the epic poem Salvation, I think I am going to change some gears and work on something for a class I may be instructing at the Phoenix Arts Center. At this point, the idea is in its infancy, but it has only been a couple days since discussing it. If you are interested in the epic Salvation, it should be out soon. As I was finishing edits last night, I decided on something with a more supernatural tone to help keep me focused, 2017s Rings.  


Plot/ A young woman finds herself on the receiving end of a terrifying curse that threatens to take her life in seven days.


When this movie was released I could not bring myself to spending the money to see it in the theater, as I figured that there was no way it could live up to the bar set my the source materials. I am glad that I made that decision and waited until it hit Family Video. While it is not terrible, it in no way resembles anything more than a regurgitated storyline that has run its course. Yes, the cast was solid with some decent performances, as always the storyline and backstory are interesting, and there were some good visual effects that at least made it watchable. Unfortunately, this one lacked the heavy atmosphere that made the first installments what they were. In fact, this was more like a mystery than a horror film and it was never able to fully transition between the two genres with too many predictable moments. In the end, if you are a fan of The Ring franchise, you will likely be just as disappointed as I was. Was this movie terrible? No, but it definitely had the potential to be much better.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)