Phantasm (1979)



Before I could dive into Phantasm: Ravager, I needed to get back into the series by revisiting the classic Phantasm. When I saw it on Shudder, I was excited to reenter one of my favorite horror films. So, without anymore of my babbling here on Christmas Day, the next review it the 1979 low budget classic Phantasm.


Plot/ A teenage boy and his friends face off against a mysterious grave robber known only as the Tall Man, who keeps a lethal arsenal of terrible weapons with him.


As I mentioned last night in my review, Phantasm is one of my favorite horror franchises and a movie that left a lasting impression on me as I was growing up. When I decided to revisit the remastered version, I already knew what to expect, and it is a movie that can be very polarizing for viewers. There is so much to love in this low budget horror classic, featuring both surrealistic and sci-fi/fantasy elements. Set in an atmospheric and layered storyline, there are many elements that make it a strange ride into its own dimension of horror. Complete with the Tall Man (Angus Scrimm), the silver blood draining spheres, and the crazy superhuman dwarfs, the emotions of love and loss, as well as coming of age are all woven into the scripting. Yes, the performances are uneven and some of the overall feel is incoherent, but those factors are easily overlooked when immersing yourself into the story. In the end, this is one of the most memorable horror films of the 1970s, and a movie that is a must see for horror fans. If you have not seen it, shame on you! Highly recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)