Dracula Untold (2014)



After spending a lot of time behind my computer working on my physics homework and blogging, I decided that I needed to take a break last night and just chill. Hell, I did not even watch a movie; instead, I was caught up on the politically charged series State of Affairs. Now that I am refreshed, I still have a couple movies to catch up on for the past week. The next one up for review is again from 2014: Dracula Untold.


Plot/ As his kingdom is being threatened by the Turks, young prince Vlad Tepes must become a monster feared by his own people in order to obtain the power needed to protect his own family, and the families of his kingdom.


It has been a while since I had been excited about seeing a vampire flick because how those sparkling imposters ruined the genre. That was until I saw this one. Yes, it may be full of historical and geographic inaccuracies, something that will definitely turn off some Dracula purists, but as just a fictional tale, it was quite entertaining. Between outstanding performances (especially Luke Evans who was perfect for the role), some interesting twists in the storyline, and some amazing special effects (yes, even the CGI), the movie was much better than I could have imagined (especially at a PG-13 rating). As a fan of the historical aspects of the classic Dracula story and the legendary figure the character is based on, I was a little disappointed at some of the historical inaccuracies. However, as a writer of fiction myself, I understand why decisions such as that are made when creating a new mythos. When you couple the inaccuracies with the short run time, some small plot holes, and a lack of overall character development, and it is easy to see why this movie is so polarizing. In the end, this one will definitely split its audience with some loving it and others hating it, and I can totally understand that. Personally, I found it an entertaining and fun movie that was a perfect bridge to what could be an entertaining series of flicks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)