The Crimson Rivers (2000)



I had been spending some time on Netflix trying to find some good movies from the vintage giallo genre. For some reason, I have been stuck with that type of film in my head. After populating my instant queue, I decided to take a break yesterday and attend my first Pittsburgh Pirates game since retiring and moving home, what an amazing experience that was. Luckily, for me, the Bucs beat the Astros 2-0 to complete the sweep; my only disappointment was I forgot my broom. I decided to get back at it tonight with one of the flicks I put into my queue. While it was not a vintage giallo, it was an interesting thriller, The Crimson Rivers.


Plot/ Parisian murder detective commissioner Pierre Niemans is called to Gueron, a self-sufficient, prestigious university in a mountain valley, to investigate the murder on 32-year old professor and librarian. Inspector Max Kerkerian examines two crimes in the town: a school break-in with theft of old photos and archive papers as well as a graveyard desecration of Judith Herault. Little do they know that the crimes may be connected.


When I was searching Netflix for some giallo flicks, this one popped into the recommendations and I am glad that it did, as this is one of the better psychological thrillers I have seen in some time. The intricate storyline is amazing. Yes, there are some parts that maybe a bit too conspiracy ridden to believe for some viewers, but it really works well. The scenery, cinematography and visuals are excellent, that acting solid throughout and the atmosphere draws you in. On top of that, the audio dubbing and use of horror elements are tremendous. In the end, if you love mysteries or thrillers about twisted serial killers, you should love this one. Check it out!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)