The Wolfman (2010)


I had intentionally stayed away from the remake of the Wolfman because with all of the hype, it could never live up to the expectations set. That was until last night when I sat down and watched the unrated version on DVD

Plot/ Lawrence Talbot, a haunted nobleman is lured back to his family estate after his brother vanishes. Reunited with his estranged father, Talbot sets out to find his brother... and discovers a horrifying destiny for himself. Talbot's childhood ended the night his mother died. After he left the sleepy Victorian hamlet of Blackmoor, he spent decades recovering and trying to forget. However, when his brother's fiancée, Gwen Conliffe, tracks him down to help find her missing love, Talbot returns home to join the search. He learns that something with brute strength and insatiable bloodlust has been killing the villagers, and that a suspicious Scotland Yard inspector named Aberline has come to investigate.


What I found was honestly a mixed bag. The cinematography and setting was great projecting a very interesting atmosphere especially when some of the gore was thrown into the mix. The special effects and make-up were tremendous, although, I would have loved to have seen less CGI (I am not a CGI fan at all). The acting was solid, but far from spectacular and the story was typical. However, I felt that this film could have been much more, and actually needed to weed out some of the back-story to allow the movie as whole to grow together. Some of it just seemed disjointed because there was not enough time dedicated to development. In the end, it is exactly what it is, a remake of a classic tale, and I believe its fate will be similar to Bram Stoker’s Dracula, which will gain popularity as it ages. Look at it this way, it is an enjoyable film and one that is a better alternative for werewolf fans than Twilight.

Comments

  1. I am excitedly awaiting seeing this. I admit, what you've described is exactly what I pictured. I was hoping it would be strong on mood and atmosphere and I hoped there'd be no CGI--I do not know anyone who likes it. I am so glad you gave this review and confirmed I was right to put it in my Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the Wolfman extremely enjoyable. Great cast and acting and the story worked well enough!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)