Night of the Comet (1984)


After having two of my daughters beat me down during family fun night at their school, it was time to relax. Fortunately for me, I was able to find a classic film on TV from my youth to help ease my pain away, the 1984 apocalyptic classic Night of the Comet. Its funny, I remember seeing it in the theatre and leaving that afternoon with the biggest crush on Kelli Maroney, from that day forward I had to see any movie she was in!


Plot/ Two girls from the Valley wake up to find that a passing comet has eradicated their world and left behind a mysterious red-dust and a pack of cannibal mutants. With the help of a friendly truck driver, the girls save the earth from a villainous "think tank," karate chop their way through flesh-eating zombies, and, of course, find time to go to the mall.


Night of the Comet is one of my favorite movies from the 1980s. While it is by no means a technological classic, it is one of the best horror/sci fi/comedies of the decade. The script and storyline do a wonderful job at creating a nice blend of drama, action, laughs and even some surprises that at least raise the scare factor. The acting is solid and very entertaining. Although, zombies are mentioned and occasionally make some appearances, this is far from a full-fledged zombie picture. In fact, it may be more in line with the great creature features popularized in the 50s and 60s, except the make-up and effects are much better than during that era. If you have never seen this great 1980s flick, you are missing out, this is one that is a must see!

Comments

  1. I have to admit that I didn't expect a lot when I first saw this film, but its actually a really good fright flick.

    I really like their treatment of the zombies and the 50s scifi atmosphere as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked this film...I think it's time I watched it again! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)