Satan's Slave (1976)


After taking a break for a few days, I was dying to watch something in the horror genre again. With that in mind, I jumped back into the Gorehouse Greats Collection that my mother picked up for me. Having watched (and reviewed) three or four of the films already, I figured it was time to finish that set (although, I will not watch Prime Evil again!). After some debate, I decided on Satan's Slave, a 1976 British entry in to this set.


Plot/ On her way to a relaxing vacation at her uncle's isolated country mansion, a young woman is instead tortured and terrorized by her uncle and cousin, who unbeknownest to her, are disciples of Satan. Soon, she discovers that she can trust no one and even people she thought were dead comes back to haunt her.


I was pleasantly surprised by this film, as it is actually one of the better British Horror films from the late 1970s that doesn't seem to get the awknowledgement it deserves. Yes, the story line is a bit run-of-the-mill, yet, director Norman Warren pulls it off quite nicely with the solid use of flashbacks to aid the plot. The script, writen by David McGillivray is sound with god dialogue throughout. The one thing that really impressed me was that while, I had some idea of what I would see based on past satanic torture and British Horror, the movie still held some surprises that I didn;t expect. he film plays nicely on our expectations and manages to surprise and plant different questions in the mind throughout. The cinematography is awesome,and the combination of soundtrack, grittiness and color create quite an atmosphere. In the end, this 1976 film seems to stand as a marker for the tragic end of the Hammer Horror monopoly, demonstrating that society had tired of the Hammer blueprint and quality gore, horror and supernaturalmovies could come from other studio's.



vote it up!

Comments

  1. Sounds like a good one. I like the 70s British exploitation type genre. I know I saw this long ago, but I hadn't remembered the name. Glad you put a name to it for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)