Dracula's Guest (2008)




Sitting here tonight, I felt it was time to start winding my way back to the vampire genre (I would like to finish that Undead Collection someday). To do so, I put on Dracula's Guest on FearNet. As a fan of Stoker and a reader of many of his works, the idea of the filmed seemed interesting at first glance. However, I soon realized that my streak of terrible movies from the year 2008 was destined to continue.


Plot/ Bram Stoker has fallen in love with his girl friend Elizabeth but he is denied the opportunity to propose to her by her father, Admiral Murray. Elizabeth is heart broken and flees London only to be abducted by Count Dracula who keeps her hostage in his castle in Transylvania. Count Dracula knows that this will draw Bram Stoker to him as Bram will be compelled to rescue Elizabeth. Count Dracula's plan is to trap Bram Stoker and settle an old dispute among the two families.


Luckily for me, when I started watching this tonight, I did so without any expectations and guess what, that was a good idea. Not only did this movie ruin any expectations, it again made me realize why period horror movies are so difficult to film. The plot and idea was actually decent as I really liked the way the Stoker stories were drawn together. However, that is about where the positive aspects stop. The movies was ruined by poor acting, terrible effects and just a terrible vision and understanding of the genre. Out of all of the low points, Dracula's character was the worst. Played by Andrew Bryniarski (Leatherface in Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning), it is clear that the role was much more than he could chew as his accent was awful and the fangs were so unbelievable that they looked like they were straight out of a bargain Halloween store. To be honest, at times I thought I was watching a local theatre company's first attempt at a movie, it was THAT bad!



vote it up!

Comments

  1. Great review. I haven't seen it, but I suspected that's what it would be like. How did you keep from laughing? I hate discrepancies in period pieces, like two gladiators wearing wrist watches...Hee hee

    I'm trying to get my hands on "Animals" with Naveen Andrews--a werewolf one. I heard it's coming out on DVD this summer--finally. It's a few years old! I just finished my vampire phase and am into wolves now. Oh, and zombies came before vampires. Eventually, I'll work my way back to zombies no doubt. Glad to have you sitting through the bad ones so I can miss them. You're very brave, BTW.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)