Get Out (2017)



After a couple days away from modern horror movies, I decided that I wanted to finish off May with something newer. After some thought, I decided to watch the 2017 horror flick Get Out.


Plot/ It's time for a young African American to meet with his white girlfriend's parents for a weekend in their secluded estate in the woods, but before long, the friendly and polite ambience will give way to a nightmare.


I had waited to pick this one up at Family Video for a few days. This wasn’t because I didn’t want to see it, it was because I swore in my mind I already had from the synopsis. Ironically, there is something about this flick that I can’t place because even as I watched it, I felt like I had seen it before. While some of the storyline was predictable and cliché (which could leave the impression as I have seen it before), it is an entertaining film that was a perfect blend of mystery, thriller, and comedy. Not only did I connect to the film, I found myself thinking about the potential twists that could pop out. The performances are solid, the cinematography creates a tremendous atmosphere, the pacing works for the genre, and the storyline is definitely thought provoking with some of the social commentary elements woven into it, much in the way of some of the classic horror/sci-fi tales in the past did. In the end, this movie was extremely entertaining and a film that definitely sits outside the typical rehashed horror/thriller cinema coming out of Hollywood today. If you haven't seen it, give it a shot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)