The Gift (2015)



After spending a few days in past decades, I decided to come back to modern times to find a movie for the evening. Luckily, one such film made it to the DVD player after a trip to Family Video in the 2015 thriller The Gift.


Plot/ A young married couple's lives are thrown into a harrowing tailspin when an acquaintance from the husband's past brings mysterious gifts and a horrifying secret to light after more than 20 years.


The Gift was an odd movie for me to watch and review. While it was a good movie overall, it really did not speak to me as much as I expected. A solid thriller, that definitely seemed to channel a lot of from the past in the way it was presented with a genuine creepiness and tension throughout. It really felt like a modern journey into a classic Hitchcock film. The performances were solid, the scripting worked, and the cinematography and direction was spot on. Unfortunately, while the movie was good and atmosphere awesome, I could not truly connect to the characters and truly felt like an outsider watching it. Of course, that could be due to the fact that the pacing was strange, the runtime was short, and the somewhat expected violence never materialized on screen. Honestly, I am not sure why I felt so disconnected. In the end, this is a decent thriller and movie that I may have to watch again to truly appreciate. If you are searching for an atmospheric thriller, give it a shot!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)