Boggy Creek: The Legend is True (2010)



Thanksgiving is a great time, food to make me feel bloated, football and enough time to watch some good movies. One movie that my brother Matt and I talked about tonight was the original Legend of Boggy Creek, an amazing flick. I love Bigfoot movies (almost as much as I enjoy searching for the legendary creature) and I cannot wait until the weather gets better so I can get out in the field with some of my Bigfoot researching friends. Until then, I will have to rely on movies like Boggy Creek: The Legend is True (2010) to keep me company.


Plot/ When Jennifer's father dies in a horrific accident, she finds herself drawn to his small cabin in Boggy Creek, Texas. She brings a few friends for a week-long stay, but their vacation soon turns deadly. They are warned of an evil that has lurked near the water for three decades, a terrifying creature that murders men and abducts women. While camping, Jennifer and her friends encounter this evil, finding themselves on the feeding grounds of a giant beast. What began as a journey of self discovery becomes a desperate fight for survival along Boggy Creek.


Let me start by saying that I am definitely a sucker for any and all Bigfoot related movies and when I saw this, I just had to watch it. What I found was a little twist and departure from the normal Bigfoot entry, focusing on characterization and storyline development more than straight creature feature, gore-driven or docu-drama. To me, this was a refreshing change from the norm (although, there seemed to be some story holes). Yes, it will definitely turn off most horror fans in it for the gore, but that’s OK. All-in-all, the script was solid, the acting decent and the special effects awesome! When the creature shows up, he was amazing and the kills were great (sure, there could have been more of both). In the end, it does have some flaws and it is not for everyone, but if you love Bigfoot (and especially the original Legend of Boggy Creek) you should enjoy this one. Like I said, it is not straightforward horror, but there enough moments to make it worth renting (and I thought the ending rocked more than the movie itself – loved it!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)